Monday, February 2, 2009

touchstones




Some of the exercises in The Artist's Way touch nerves, some are downright difficult, some I ignore (perhaps those are ones I need to do most - something to think about there), some are pure fun. Tonight I made a list of the things I love, something that Julia Cameron calls 'happiness touchstones'. I ended up trawling through old photos and making a separate file whenever I came across an image or a memory which I consider one of my personal touchstones. I'm thinking of putting them together and making a slide show one of these days...At random, in no particular order, here are some of my personal touchstones:
late afternoon sun
rock formations
rock pools
aerial views
shells
Japanese gardens
volcanoes
ceramics
spanish films
long deserted beaches
gnarled twisted trees
deep blues and purples
really good olives
craft markets
live music
drumming
sound of breaking waves
stroking and playing with cats
smell of eucalyptus
interesting contemporary architecture
queso manchego
paella
sunsets
.... there are many more but these came up tonight. A fun list to add to.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Funny... that exercise has been a big block for me. Your list is wonderful.

stargazer said...

thanks Gina. I'd love to put all the images together that evoke these things... another project! they are mounting up.